Press "Enter" to skip to content

Speeduino – Rover SD1, Fabrication Fun Times

A milestone was hit today, and I am very pleased. The coil mount is finally done.

I starting making the coil bracket a few days ago, but ran into a rather large problem when the time came to actually test fit it. The bolt that holds the alternator mount to the head would not budge. I hit it with a couple of duggas from the rattle gun and that still didn’t move it, and I don’t want to snap the damn thing off in the head. This bolt was one of the main mounting points in my original design, so straight away I was buggered.

Once I knew I couldn’t proceed with the original plan, I changed gears and started looking for an alternative. The one I came up with was lopping off all the mounting tabs, and bolting it directly to the two bolt holes above the alternator. One of the holes is used for the main ground strap, so I will need to relocate that to the alternator mounting bolts, but that’s not major.

Today I began work on making this revised plan work. Although I’m using 3mm aluminium plate, which is quite thick, I still needed to reinforce it and make sure it wouldn’t bend and vibrate. I decided to aluminium weld/braze a strip to the underside to reduce flex.

I had some Christmas money to spend on tools, so I went out and purchased an oxy/gas set. This mixes oxygen and mapp gas to make a really damn hot flame, allowing me to melt an aluminium filler rod and stick some bits of metal together.

It’s ugly as, but it works. The plate is pretty rigid now. Not bad for my first time sticking metal together in about 10 years.

I also tried to stick the crank sensor bracket together, but I wasn’t talented enough to bridge the gap that was far too large, so it’s not stuck together very well. It is solid though, so that’s a plus.

With the plate stuck on, the next step was to mark on the plate where the bolt holes would be going. How do you do this on a solid plate? Grease on the bolt heads.

I knocked off the tabs, drilled some holes, and test fitted.

Looking promising. I then drilled more holes in the plate, but this time it was to mount the coils in place. These required me to cut down some aluminium rod to act as spacers. I made the spacers 30mm which gives me ample air space under the coils for cooling. Some 100mm long M6 countersunk screws hold the coils in place.

I made sure to position the coils in such a way that they don’t obscure access to the two bolts that hold the mount to the alt bracket, which means I can remove the whole lot quickly without making a mess.

I made more spacers, and bolted the second coil on.

And here they are, FINALLY bolted to engine.

The bracket needs some work on the edges to tidy it up, and I will eventually paint it black, but for now its all about function over form to get the car running.

Tomorrow I will begin the wiring. The EFI loom needs to come out, and then I’ll start running new wires.

Leave a Reply

avatar

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of
Tastes Like Petrol
%d bloggers like this: