Woo hoo, It’s finally time to fill the big gaps in the front of the Rover.
Wow its a double post day today! I haven’t spent much time working on the Rover recently, but don’t worry, it’s still here and still loved
I have been trying to source a set of good fog lights for the SD1 since I got the car. I got a pair from the previous owner, originally from the car, but both had damaged lenses (one with a hole in it, and the other was properly smashed). The reflectors were also a bit average. One light had been “modified” somewhat too, so that was no good. Finding any, let alone a good pair, was damn near impossible locally but fitting them to the car was fairly important to me.
I finally sourced one good pair of fog lights…. in the motherland, Britain. Thankfully my lovely wife just happened to be in Britain last month for work, so I put two and two together, and got the lights shipped to her and she brought them back in her very overfull luggage. They may or may not have also been the reason her bags were searched by customs…. but we aren’t sure on that
They were used lights (I had the option of New Old Stock/NOS ones too, but they were a lot more expensive and harder to justify), and not perfect. One had a very bad reflector. The reflector is made of steel with some super thin reflective coating on it, and over 30+ years the quality British steel has suffered badly.
One of the lights that came with the car has a better, but still rusty, reflector. I carefully applied rust converter to the worst areas, but I didn’t want to risk further damage to the reflective coating. This was the reflector I chose to use.
So the aim of the game was to take 4 average light units, and make two good units. The replacement lights had lenses fitted; one good and one broken, but the seller included a perfect spare NOS lens.
With the clips out the whole lot just comes apart. I replaced the lenses and reflectors and built a good pair.
Success. The light works, but the switch needs rebuilding (like the rear fog switch it doesn’t latch). Even the dash light works
Whilst there I also fully stripped and cleaned the contacts, just so I didn’t have to do it again later. They were pretty corroded.