Well here is a blast from the past. It occurs to me that I still haven’t got around to posting the one final thing I did on my old R50 Mini Cooper before selling it; Replacing the bonnet stripes.
When I obtained the car from the previous owner one thing that was included with it was a roll of new bonnet stripes. The original stripes looked nice from far, but they were far from nice, with shrinkage, fading and peeling.
Before I sold the car I decided to finally have a go at replacing them. Before removal the old stripe position was marked with tape, so the new stripes would go in the same place. The old stripes came off fairly easily and quite cleanly with some heat from heat gun
After a quick clean (and a wipe with isopropyl alcohol where the stripes will be), the new stripes were carefully applied, using a plastic blade to try and reduce the bubbles under the vinyl. I started at the top by lining the edge up with the edge of the bonnet clamshell, but you could also fold it under at the top too.
Well worth the small amount of work.